Safety and Security
We do not ask to be raped but sometimes, there are things that will lead to such horrible action. If we are not careful enough, we will lose everything that we have including our self-worth. Rape is not a light issue and therefore should be taken seriously. Perhaps we heard about date rape these days.
Though date rapes are not common here in Singapore, the fact remains that it happens in some societies. We do not want our society so suffer such horrible act that is why we should educate the population especially the women about the dangers of date rape.
When we hear date rape, we think of substances. This is true. Date rape is eased by drug, alcohol or any substance that can undermine a woman. If inhaled, injected or ingested, a substance can make us numb, unconscious and weak. These feelings will make us vulnerable to rape.
It is mentioned earlier that we should educate the population and we have to start by introducing substances that can facilitate rape. Here are some:
- Alcohol: According to a study conducted by Medical News Today, alcohol is the most common date rape drug. This is the case because of it is readily available in the market. Many women fall to rapists because of intoxication. Alcohol will certainly cloud judgment and physically weakens us and as a result, it is hard to fight sexual advances of men.
- Ketamine: Ketamine is used as an anaesthetic for victims with burns. Aside from that, ketamine is also used in surgery and dentistry. The United States stated that ketamine can be in the form of liquid which can be injected or it can be in the form of powder that can be mixed with drinks or smoke. If ingested or injected, the effect will be after twenty minutes and the effect will last for four to eight hours. If higher doses are combined with alcohol or other drugs, it can lead to coma.
- Ativan: Ativan is also called lorezapam. Ideally, Ativan is used to treat insomnia, seizures and anxiety. Ativan is helpful since it has a relaxing property however, it can knock us unconscious for twelve to twenty four hours which is exactly the reason why it is commonly used as a date rape drug.
- GHB: GHB is used to treat narcolepsy and sleep disorder. It is used as a date rape drug because it has the power to put a woman to sleep and it can cause nausea, dizziness and confusion.
We have to know that many of these substances are readily available in the market since they have their legitimate uses. However, they are highly dangerous when abused or mixed together.
You are the adventurous type so you decided to camp near the swamp. You also decided to swim. But before anything else, you should be familiar with the place. Perhaps you should ask the locals if crocs and alligators exist in the area. If you found out that crocs and alligators exist in your chosen area, you need to make new plans.
Have you heard about a 12 year old boy who was snatched by a crocodile in Australia? The incident happened on January 26, 2014. The boy was with his friends swimming when they were attacked by a 4m crocodile. After the report, a rescue team was assembled to search for the boy. They are still searching the area for traces of the boy.
There are also crocodiles here in Singapore. Even if crocodiles here in Singapore are controlled, there will come a time that they will encounter and attack people. What are the odds that you become the victim? Though it is slim, it would benefit you if you know what to do when you encounter crocodiles. Here are some tips that you can use:
1. Stay away from waters with crocodiles. The basic thing to do when you camp near the river is to make sure that it is not infested with crocodiles. You can ask local residents or you can read for advisories. If you decide to swim, do not swim in murky waters. Avoid swimming at night because it is the time when crocodiles hunt.
2. Watch out. If you decide to continue camping, you should be watchful. Do not be too comfortable just because you do not see a crocodile. Crocodiles hide themselves effectively in water. When you ride the boat, do not hang your legs and arms off the boat.
3. Maintain your distance. If you spotted one (or more) crocodile, you should maintain your distance. You should be at least fifteen feet away from the crocodiles. If you can move farther, do it slowly. Remember that crocodiles are fast so the farther you are, the safer you will be.
4. Do not surprise crocodiles. Do not surprise crocodiles because they will feel threatened. When they are threatened, they will hurriedly grab you. When you know crocodiles are present and you want to go near, you should make noises. You can for instance whistle or slap the water. Let the crocodiles know of your presence.
5. Run. Crocodiles surprise their prey. The prey will be stunned thus the inaction. If you see crocodiles pursuing you, run as fast as you can towards the land. Crocodiles will quickly get tired so they will stop pursuing you.
6. Fight back. If despite your best efforts you are still grabbed, you need to fight back. Crocodiles will only deliver a single blow and they quickly let go. When the crocodile lets go, try to move far away from it. If the crocodile does not let go, target the eyes, nostrils and throat. Poke or hit the eyes with whatever you have.
A group of seven year old children and their teacher encountered a crocodile during their fieldtrip at Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve on November 20, 2013. NParks (National Parks Board) assured the public that that will never happen again.
When you are visiting a reserve, it is indeed surprising if you encounter a crocodile or alligator. But if you are in the saltwater, you should expect to see one or more. You should know that crocodile, alligators and their family kill thousands of people every year in different parts of the world. When you see one, you need to know what to do so you can survive the encounter. Here are some tips:
- Stay away from swarming waters. Before wandering in the wild or saltwater, you need to ask the locals or the authorities which place is swarming with crocodiles. If you know which place, you should never go near it.
- Beware of your surroundings. If you know that crocodiles roam in that place, it is crucial that your senses are heightened. You need to be vigilant. Concentrate and use your senses.
- Stay away from crocodiles. If you spotted one or two crocodiles, it is important that you give them enough space. Do not attempt to go near because it will only make things worse. Remember to stay away at least 15 feet from crocodiles.
- Run right away if you sense danger. If you see that the crocodile is approaching you, you need to run. Do not wait for it to go near because you might be killed. Run to the nearest land and never stop.
- Fight back if you get caught. If you are attacked, the crocodile will try to drag you in the water. When you are attacked, your best hope is to fight back and try to get away as soon as possible. Attack the eyes, ears, nostrils and tongue.
- Get help. When you survived the attack and you got away, the next thing that you should do is get some help. The mouth of crocodiles houses bacteria. Infection will occur if there is a bite. It should be treated immediately.