Curtain cleaning should be done at least once every three months according to some experts, but there are a lot of things to consider when choosing which curtain cleaning method is right. Most of the materials used can be machine-washed, but special fabrics and non-fabric curtains are a bit tricky.
Here are some tips on how to clean the most common non-fabric and fabric curtains.
Besides fabric curtains and drapery, there are other window treatments to choose from, such as; Roman shades, solar shades, shutters, faux wood blinds, wood blinds, woven wood shades, cellular shades, roller shades, panel track blinds, pleated shades, and sheer shades.
Curtain cleaning is based on the type of material used for the window treatment. If you use mostly non-fabric curtains at home, contact a curtain cleaning services shop in Singapore like www.curtainrepair.com that specializes in such materials to avoid damaging the materials.
• Roman Shades should not be vacuumed because you’ll damage the stitching, instead, spot-clean it by spraying a fabric freshener or upholstery cleaner.
• Solar Shades can be cleaned with a shade cleaning agent, soapy water, and soft-bristled brush.
• Shutters should be brushed with water and dish detergent then hosed down to remove the dirt. After rinsing, wipe the shutters with microfiber cloth to dry.
• Faux Wood Blinds can be wiped with cloth dipped in soapy water. Then make sure to dry the blinds with a microfiber cloth.
• Wood Blinds are washed with cloth dipped in soapy warm water, but each slat should be dried with a clean cloth thoroughly.
• Woven Wood Shades should not be washed with water, instead, vacuum the shades every week and apply a furniture polish.
• Cellular Shades should not be washed or scrubbed because these can damage the material. Regular dusting and spot-cleaning of stubborn stains should be enough.
• Roller Shades can be cleaned with a damp cloth or sponge dipped in soapy water. Rinse the material with a cloth or sponge, too, then leave the shade fully extended when drying.
• Panel Track Blinds are cleaned using a damp sponge or cloth. Start by wiping from the bottom then work your way upwards. Regular dusting, however, should be enough if there is no stubborn stain.
• Pleated Shades can be cleaned only by vacuuming, dusting, and spot-cleaning. If there is a stain, contact a professional curtain cleaning services shop in Singapore.
• Sheer Shades are made from delicate materials, that is why regular dusting or vacuuming should be performed to avoid heavy soiling. Avoid using soap and water on sheer shades.
Some of the most common fabrics used for curtains and drapery are the following: calico, chintz, dotted Swiss, jacquard, linen, muslin, satin, tapestry, velvet, burnout, canvas, damask, gingham, lace, moiré, nylon, organza, taffeta, toile, and voile.
Each fabric has a different care requirement, that is why curtain cleaning can sometimes be tricky, especially with delicate fabrics that are difficult to dry. If you’re not sure how to clean your curtains, contact the nearest curtain cleaning services shop in Singapore. Items that can only be dry-cleaned should not be washed with water and water-based detergent. Send them to a curtain dry cleaning shop to avoid damaging the material. Decorative items are not meant to be washed because they have linings, embellishments, crinoline, trims, and welting. Fabrics labeled with an S code, which stands for solvent, on the care instructions need curtain dry cleaning.
• Calico should only be spot-treated, brushed or dusted, vacuum-cleaned or sprayed with a stain repellent. If there are heavy stains, do not wash it yourself. Professional curtain cleaning services will do a better job.
• Chintz is known for its glaze, but frequent cleaning can make it fade, that is why it’s better to take the item to a professional curtain dry cleaning shop in Singapore who knows how to handle this delicate fabric.
• Jacquard is also an S-labeled fabric that needs to be handled carefully to avoid color bleeding and shrinking by using a special stain remover and solvent when spot-cleaning.
• Linen can resist dirt more easily and can stand up to most curtain cleaning methods and different water temperatures. However, separate colored linen from whites, but never use bleach to remove the stain
• Muslin can be machine-washed using the normal cycle, but you should place it in a laundry bag to avoid snagging. It can also be tumble-dried on low or laid flat to dry.
• Satin should only be hand-washed, but if the care label says it can be machine-washed, set the washer on a delicate cycle, then rinse in cold water.
• Tapestry should be dusted or vacuumed, but it can also be dry-cleaned if it’s heavily stained or exposed to smoke.
• Velvet can be machine-washed if it’s stated on the label, but set the machine on the lightest cycle. Hang it or lay it flat to dry.
• Burnout can be machine-washed on a gentle cycle if the care label says that you don’t need to hand-wash it. Use the mildest detergent you can find to prevent any damage.
• Canvas should not be machine-washed or exposed to heat because these can alter the appearance of the curtain. Take it to the nearest curtain cleaning services in Singapore if vacuuming or dusting doesn’t work.
• Damask should only be hand-washed or machine-washed in delicate cycle. Use only cool water and mild detergent for this fabric.
• Lace can be washed with water and detergent if you use a fabric made for delicate fabrics. Curtain cleaning services can machine-wash lace by setting the washer on gently cycle then soaking the material for 30 minutes if it’s heavily stained. Then it’s laid flat on a surface to dry it.
• Nylon can be machine-washed if you place it in a laundry bag and hung or laid flat to dry. Wrap it in a dryer sheet if you’re going to use a dryer.
• Organza can be machine-washed in warm or cool setting if it doesn’t have any embellishments.
It is always nice to come home to a clean and organized place. But on top of that, it is nicer to have a happy atmosphere at home. With the crazy schedule of things to attend to, most people tend to overlook the most important aspect of home. Having these right perspectives will give you the frame of mind which is essential in creating a happy atmosphere for your spouse and for your kids at home:
- Show your appreciation. When you allow yourself to wallow in the chaos, you lose appreciation of the things you dreamt of in the first place. You now have a family and a home with the greatest love of your life. Remember that the stack of dirty dishes in waiting for you in the sink and the humungous pile of dirty laundry are just the smallest prices to pay with the dream life you are now living. Refrain from complaining; instead, appreciate even the smallest things in your home. This will give you the right mind-setting for creating a lovely home for the family.
- Be gentle with your words and actions. The difference in your tone of voice may do harm in more ways than you can imagine. Choose a gentle tone in talking to your spouse and to your kids every time. When you nicely ask your spouse or your kids to do something, this will be consequently done with a light heart. They will not view this as a burden. They will take pleasure in doing things for you if you use the right tone of voice. Also, continue encouraging the members of the family with sincere and gentle words.
- Treat every member of the family well. Acknowledging the struggles of each family member will enable you to give each and every one proper treatment. If you understand how tired your kid is from a whole day of school, you will not give him a hard time if he forgets to put his bag in its proper place. If you have an idea of how tired your husband is from his presentation in the office, you will not get mad if he does not immediately extends help in the kitchen. Understanding what one goes through every day is the best way to show affection.
- Focus on family time. Modern technology has a way of eating up quality time with family. Online games are readily available from phones thus is it accessible and easy to play with. One can spend countless hours with the phone, losing the chance to spend some time with the family. Make a conscious effort to put down your phone and engage in conversations with them. Sharing experiences of the day will create an open line for everyone, adding more reasons on why coming home is something everyone looks forward to at the end of the day!
Being instrumental in building a happy home is not difficult if you have the determination and passion to do it. A home is a secured fortress where love is nurtured. This is the good place where every family member becomes the pillar of strength and source of inspiration.
Painting the interior and exterior of your house increases its real estate value and so much more. The following are the main reasons why you need to keep a fresh layer of paint on your walls.
Painting increases the value of your property. Especially to Singapore homeowners who are planning to sell their houses, giving the walls a fresh coat of paint is a good start. For quality results, you might want to hire professional painting services to do the job for you.
House painting enhances curb appeal. The first thing a person will notice about your house is its exteriors. Giving your house a makeover on the outside improves its visual attractiveness as seen from the sidewalk. This is very important when you are putting your house on sale.
Painting keeps dust to a minimum. If your house has plaster walls, painting the surfaces can keep dirt and dust at bay. For tough surfaces, use high quality paint products. It is good to invest in professional painting services like colour view painting from Singapore because they will help you choose what type of paint is appropriate for the kind of walls you have.
Painting can promote healthy air quality. This is possible when you use zero-VOC or low VOC paints and finishes for interior walls, trim, and other surfaces. Many Singapore home painting services for example colour view make use of these products because they reduce odors and fumes, thus promoting healthy air quality.
Painting hides permanent marks. Do your walls have permanent marks or stains that are difficult to remove? Painting your walls is the best solution to cover those stubborn discoloration and blemishes. Just make sure you apply paint the right way, because if you don’t, it might just lead to other house painting problems, such as blistering, alligatoring, or chalking.
Painting helps protect exterior surfaces. Professional painting services are a good investment, especially if you want to protect your house from unpleasant weather conditions. In Singapore where it is generally humid, painting your exterior walls with quality paint makes them stronger.
House painting is an inexpensive way to remake your home. If you are already bored with the old appearance of your house, changing the colors of your walls can give the spanking new look you most want. Many households in Singapore are finding out low-cost ways to refresh their properties, and they often discover that getting painting services is all it takes. A gallon of paint absolutely costs less than a piece of new furniture. Painting is indeed the easiest, fastest, and cheapest way to transform a mundane space into a whole new world.
Painting your house can create positive energy. Colors are magical. They have the ability to affect your outlook on your living environment. For example, if the interior of your house is dark, you may feel that you are living in a strict environment. On the other hand, if your walls are painted yellow, orange, or any “happy” colors, this can have a positive effect on you. You may feel light and happy.