Being a parent can be a really tough job. Not only must they lead their children to adulthood, they also need to act as their guardians to keep them safe from mental and physical harm. The balance between these two can be quite difficult to achieve, and even with the best intentions, it’s still possible to commit mistakes that could negatively impact the well-being and growth of your children. By being aware of these pitfalls, however, you can hopefully avoid committing them and keep your children safe from its long-term harm.
1. Imposing Your Will on Them
As a determined parent, it’s only natural that you want your children to follow in your footsteps. There might be some unhealthy psychological reasons behind this, however, such living vicariously through their actions or controlling them. Either way, it’s crucial to ensure that you don’t rashly impose your will on your children, as this could cause them to take on a path that leads to discontent or failure. Instead, simply offer them an objective advice when they need one and refrain from influencing their decisions.
2. Stopping Them From Taking Risks
Learning how to take calculated risks is an important part of adulthood, and keeping your child from learning such a crucial life lesson could negatively impact his or her well-being later on. It may be your duty to protect the mental and physical well-being of your child, but do consider balancing your approach if you’re to achieve your parenting goal. Understand that children need to take on risks to build independence and develop their maturity.
3. Letting Guilt Interfere With Your Parenting
Other than fear, guilt is another factor that prevents effective parenting. This is especially true for first-time parents who don’t want to disappoint or upset their kids even in situations where their demands are not in their best interest. Such mistake is evident on a spoiled child who has a high sense of entitlement, which breeds traits like selfishness and arrogance later in life. So as early as possible, avoid yielding into such an irrational sense of guilt whenever you can’t give or follow what your child wants.
4. Rescuing Them Too Quickly
Another parenting mistake that could negatively impact your child’s well-being is rescuing them too quickly from their problems. While it may help in immediately resolving their issues, over-indulging your kids with your assistance will prevent them from navigating through the hardships and solving problems on their own. Your child will likely get used to having someone rescue them from their troubles, and that will keep them from becoming competent and independent adults later on.
While it’s a parent’s duty to help and protect their children, it’d be best to avoid committing any of these mistakes to help your kids foster their well-being and develop independence.
Between skin care products and hairstyling chemicals, it’s difficult to say which one will come out the winner as the most important beauty regimen, but it’s clear that the beauty industry is here to stay. Humans have been obsessed with styling their hair as much as making their skin beautiful, that is why the hair salon is a popular business venture.
Let’s look at the history, tools and techniques of hairstyling.
No one knows for sure how our ancestors styled their hair when the hair salon didn’t yet exist during the Stone Age, but experts think that the people cut their hair using sharp flint or shells. The fashionable ancient Egyptians chose to shave their heads so they can wear wigs instead, if they didn’t color it with henna. For the ancient Greeks, hairstyling was an art form and it became part of cosmetics, which comes from the word “cosmetikos,” meaning “skilled in the use of cosmetics.” They were also the first people to use artificial curlers using bronze rods. The Romans added meaning to the color of the hair, because it was a symbol of your class. The nobles dyed their hair red, the commoners blonde, and the poor black.
Hairstyling as a profession became more important, however, when the Roman Catholic church issued a decree that all facial hair should be removed by the clergymen. During the Renaissance, the women shaved their hairline so that their foreheads appeared bigger. It was not until the 1600s when the word “hairdresser” was used the name for the profession. At this time too, a male monarch popularized the use of wigs to hide his thinning hair, a trend that lasted for over a century until taxes were imposed on the use of male wigs.
In 1762, the word “shampoo” was coined to describe the chemical made from boiling soap in water sprinkled with herbs and fragrances. It wasn’t until 1952, however, when the first liquid shampoo was manufactured. In 1790, the aerosol hairspray was used and in 1845, hot metal combs were invented to straighten unruly hair.
In 1907, the first synthetic hair dye was marketed, and years later the women’s razor and Bobby pins came into use. In 1928, a product made from beeswax, mineral oil, and water is marketed as a hairstyling product for men. Finally, in 1980, a modern version of the curling iron became available.
Hairstylist, Haidresser and Barber
Is there a difference in what the hairstylist, hairdresser and barber do? The three names have different origins, but nowadays, their job descriptions overlap. The main concern of a Singapore hair salon used to be the hair design, while it was the hairdresser’s job to do the cutting, dyeing, and shampooing of hair. The barber, on the other hand, was responsible for shaving, cutting, styling, grooming, and dressing men’s hair. There was even a time when barbers also performed dentistry and surgery on their clients.
Today, all hairstylists, hairdressers and barbers can do all the jobs at any hair salon in Singapore. Their duties at the hair salon include shampooing, cutting, trimming, coloring, perming, and styling hair, wigs, extensions and hairpieces; shaving, trimming, and shaping mustaches and beards; analyzing hair and scalp problems and suggesting treatments; and suggesting hairstyles for their clients.
They are also responsible in keeping the hair salon clean and organized. The best hair salon in Singapore cleans and sterilizes all their styling tools and equipment regularly to avoid the spread of infection. When choosing a hairstylist, make sure that he/she knows all the latest hair trends and talks to you about the look you want to achieve. A good hairstylist will also give you pointers on how to maintain healthy hair and scalp by recommending a styling routine and a set of hair care products.
The hairstylist uses a lot of hair products made from natural and synthetic chemicals to change, improve or style your hair. However, the items below are the most common tools you will find at the hair salon.
1. Combs and brushes are for detangling, smoothing, styling, and finishing hair.
2. Curling iron is used in a hair salon to change the curl pattern of your hair temporarily. The hair shafts are exposed to heat and can be styled any way you want.
3. Flat iron is similar to the curling iron, but instead of curling, it straightens your hair or parts of your hair temporarily. It is also used to straighten kinks when the hair is treated with straightening chemicals.
4. Blow-dryer is the most important styling tool in any hair salon in Singapore. It is a type of heating tool used to dry damp hair quickly.
There are hundreds of hairstyles available today for any type of hair that can be achieved at the hair salon. But what techniques do the hairstylists use to create those hairstyles? Here are a few.
1. Knowing the hair type and texture. Hair type and hair texture will determine the best way to style your hair. Your hair type is determined by your genes and can either be straight, wavy, curly, and kinky. You will know you’re in the best hair salon in Singapore if the stylists take their time to give you a consultation before any procedure is recommended.
2. Proper blow-drying. A good blowout will give make your hair appear healthier, full-bodied, and shiny. The hairstylist also has to consider your hair type when using the blow-dryer to avoid frizz. That is why the hair salon has to apply a conditioner or moisturizer for your hair before blow-drying.
3. Proper curling and straightening. A good hair salon uses only the safe ceramic curler to add luster and silkiness to your hair. The hairstylist will adjust the heat settings based on your hair type to avoid burns, frizz and other damage. The same is true when straightening your hair using heating tools. The hairstylist will usually begin with the hair near your nape and work slowly up.
Singapore is said to be the Southeast Asian version of New York City. It may be small on the map, but much like New York, this little city has an entire world to offer. And even if people described the city-state as a playground for the rich, the Little Red Dot can still be as awe-inspiring even if you put all the luxurious and extraordinary experiences aside.
There are a lot of reasons to fall in love with Singapore, and we bet you’d be just as impressed as most globetrotters are. Here are six of our favourite reasons why we truly love and adore the City of Lion.
- It has the best airport in the world
Singapore’s Changi International Airport is consistently voted as the world’s best airport by both consumer and industry polls. When you get a glimpse of the airport’s movie theatre, swimming pool, beauty centers and even nature trails, you’ll be begging to have your flight delayed in Singapore.
- The weather is predictable
The weather is pretty decisive here. When it rains, it pours (literally!), and when it shines, it really is blaring hot. Either way, it’s almost always warm, so it’s easier to get dressed. Just make sure to bring an umbrella with you to protect you from extreme weather condition.
- There’s always something anytime, anywhere
The city is still alive even after sundown. People are still busy and shops are still open for business. When you forgot to buy bae an anniversary gift or you desperately need an outfit for an event in the morning, the long retail hours are your lifesaver.
- The city is immaculately clean
Litter on the ground or garbage along sidewalks are practically non-existent that you’d wonder where they would throw their garbage. Everything, from public transportations to the city streets to the benches on the sidewalk, are unbelievably clean.
- It’s one of the safest, if not the safest city of the world
When you visit Singapore, you’ll be confident to explore the city even in the wee hours of the day without the fear of getting robbed. This speaks volumes about how safe Singapore is and how disciplined the people are.
- It’s a multi-cultural city
Not many countries can claim that they’re a multi-cultural land, which makes the Little Red Dot even more special. In Singapore, people celebrate Chinese New Year, Deepavali, Hari Raya Haji and Christmas; people eat nasi lemak, Indian curry, chicken rice, pasta and bread and burger and fries. It’s like living in a big, happy family when you’re in Singapore.
Whether you’re visiting Singapore for business or just for vacation, there’s so much to enjoy in this little city-state. See Singapore for yourself, and discover more reasons to love the City of Lion.
Kids are overjoyed and excited when they’re invited to birthday parties, which is particularly opposite to how parents feel. You know your children love parties, because of the food, the sweets, the entertainment and the company of other kids.
However, when you think of attending a birthday party, you ask yourself some questions: Do I just drop my child off or should I stay during the party? Should I bring the other siblings? What gift should I bring? To help you answer those questions, here’s how to handle your child’s next birthday party invitation.
- RSVP-ing to the invite
By far, this is the most common complaint of celebrants’ parents. A simple text or call informing whether your kid can come or not to the party is a courteous gesture that will help the host prepare for the event. And if in case a celebrant’s friend won’t be able to make it, the parents can inform their child ahead of time so he won’t expect for that friend to come.
- Bringing other siblings
We know it’s hard to make one child stay at home with a babysitter, while you’re out taking the other to a birthday party. However, instead of showing up with extra siblings, ask if you can bring the invited kid’s sisters and brothers. Chances are, the host will say ‘Sure, no problem,’ but they wouldn’t like to be surprised.
- Staying at or leaving the party
Most birthday parties with older kids, parents are encouraged to just drop their child off. If the host made it clear that it’s a ‘drop-off’ birthday party, there’s no need for you to linger around. On the other hand, if it’s a party for younger children and parents are required to stay, it would be rude to just drop your child off and leave the babysitting to the hosts.
- Sharing info to the uninvited
Parents should make it clear to their kids to keep the invitation discreet, or simply do not inform them until the day of the party. This is especially necessary with school-aged kids, since the entire class may not be invited to the event.
- If leaving early…
Sometimes, your kid’s demeanour could mean an early exit. If your child seems clingy, anxious or is about to throw a tantrum during the party, this may be a sign that he’s overwhelmed by the occasion. Try stepping out of the party for a few minutes to let your kid regroup and calm down. If the quick break didn’t cut it, no one will get offended if you need to go home early as long as you let the hosts know you’re leaving.
Birthday parties are fun experiences for kids, and it shouldn’t be burdensome to the parents as well. Keep these tips in mind the next time your kid is invited in one. And oh, don’t forget to bring something for the celebrant.
When you see your Singaporean or Hollywood idols, you envy their near-to-perfect skin. They do not seem to age or wrinkle. How you wish to be like them because you are getting worried about your skin by the minute. As you age, your skin changes but it doesn’t mean that you let it be because it is the natural course of life.
A smooth and supple skin is indeed desirable. The thing is, you can restore your youthful glow – you just need patience and consistency. Sounds easy, right? Of course if you are serious enough. Here are some secrets to a more youthful glow you should never miss:
- Hydrate more: Hydrating is good for the skin as it can increase circulation. An increased circulation can lead to suppler and healthier skin.
- Sip tea: Imagine yourself in serenely sitting in a French restaurant enjoying a cup of tea. This is exciting as well as good for the skin. You have to particularly ask green tea. Green tea is famous because of its catechins – an antioxidant. An antioxidant is important as it can protect you from tenderness and oxidative damage.
- Consume more fruits: You now know the importance of antioxidants from tea. Antioxidants (like vitamins A, C and E) can also be found in some vegetables and fruits particularly those that come in shades of blue, red, orange and green.
- Look for niacinamide or vitamin B3: Aging will decrease the production of the collagen (gives support to the skin) and elastin (gives the skin elasticity). If this happens, you will surely feel saggy, dry and the like. To avoid things from getting too saggy, always look for foods with niacinamide ingredient as it will strengthen the surface of your skin which will make it more robust.
- Apply moisturizer: It is important that you cleanse your skin and apply moisturizer after. Moisturizers are crucial as they have the capacity to lock in the moisture which is good for the skin. The skin will surely look smoother and suppler.
- Wearing sunscreen: Your skin is already damaged because of your lifestyle. Once you acknowledge this fact, you can move on and think of better ways to revive it. Have you tried wearing sunscreen? Sunscreen (especially if it is SPF enhanced) can make a difference at the end of the day. When you spend some time outdoors, always apply sunscreen and choose SPF with at least thirty.
That should give you ideas of how to take good care of your skin to look more youthful. Good luck and may your skin be blessed!